Constables get 25-year sentence for rape of woman who went to make a report


Two former police constables were on Thursday sentenced to 25 years imprisonment for raping a woman on New Year’s Day 2018 when she went to report a matter at the Turkeyen Police Station, East Coast Demerara.

Delon Chapman, 29, and Leon Ashby, 35, were sentenced by Justice Jo-Ann Barlow at the Demerara High Court. Last month, a 12-member jury found the ex-cops guilty.

During the sentencing hearing on Thursday, State prosecutor Sarah Martin asked the court to consider the nature and gravity of the charges and the prevalence of sexual violence.

According to Martin, both men went against the “Service and Protection” motto of the Guyana Police Force.

The men’s attorney, Ravindra Mohabir, in his plea of mitigation told the court that his clients are both fathers and can be rehabilitated and placed back into society.

Chapman, during his address to the court, maintained his innocence.

“I just want y’all to understand that none of this even happen,” he told the court.

Similarly, Ashby said, “Me and my colleague never do this… we are victims of circumstances.”

Justice Barlow, during her sentencing remarks, said that she considered the circumstances of the case and the trauma and breach of trust it had caused to the victim.  She also considered the lack of remorse shown by the convicts.

In the end, the duo was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment and ordered to undergo counselling tailored to the needs of persons convicted for sexual violence.

According to reports, on the day in question, the victim went to the station to make a report and after making that report she asked to use the washroom at the station.

One rank reportedly indicated to her that the washroom in the lower flat of the building was not working and as such, she was escorted to the upper flat of the station by Chapman who pointed her in the direction of the washroom area.

While in the washroom, she was ambushed by the two officers and taken into a room with a mattress.

While in the room, she was held down and raped by the two officers. The matter was reported to the police and two men were arrested.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.