Bus goes up in flames in Central Rupununi; family escapes unhurt

0

Tragedy struck Friday afternoon at St. Ignatius Village, Central Rupununi when a minibus carrying a family of five erupted in flames.

The family was from the village of Baitoon.

Silvia Sebastian and Bernice Edwards and some of their family members were returning home with their monthly shopping from Lethem.

At around 16:00 hrs, the driver stopped after he said the bus was overheating. But he decided to carry on to resident of St. Ignatius Village to seek help when the fire started.

Within minutes, the family lost all of their goods worth thousands of dollars. Fortunately, they escaped unhurt.

The family has taken shelter at a St. Ignatius family as they contemplate the return trip home with no goods.

This family, like many in the vast Rupununi, would save for approximately one to three months and then make a trip to the township of Lethem to purchase needed supplies.

The tragedy is heartbreaking for the Baitoon family since they may be left without much this Christmas season.

Those who may wish to help the family can contact them on 676-0473.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.