Elderly man dies in Bachelor’s Adventure fire

0

A 76-year-old man identified as Charles Brown died as a result of a fire Thursday morning at his Bachelor’s Adventure, East Coast Demerara home.

The fire is believed to have started as a result of a lit kerosene stove left unattended which flared up and ignited nearby combustible materials, according to the Guyana Fire Service.

The flat timber and concrete building was owned by Onika Lawrence-Charles; the victim and two others identified as Andrew Reid and Godfrey Reid were occupants.

The remains of the house following the fire (Photo: Guyana Fire Service/March 31, 2022)

It was noted that fire tenders from the Melanie and Mahaica Fire Stations, along with an ambulance and crew, were dispatched to the location.

The Fire Service is pleading with citizens to take the necessary precautions to avoid fire emergencies and to educate themselves regarding fire safety and fire prevention.

Citizens are advised to not leave cooking unattended and to ensure stoves are properly turned off when not in use as well as to keep children away from any cooking area and to ensure matches and lighters are out of their reach.

The Fire Service also urged citizens to make use of fire prevention and firefighting devices such as smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

The remains of the house following the fire (Photo: Guyana Fire Service/March 31, 2022)
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.