Confessed killer freed after seven years on remand


After spending nearly seven years on remand, Solomon George, the confessed killer in the 2016 fatal stabbing of tractor operator Arnold Rampersaud Rattan, was released from prison on Monday.

The decision came following his sentencing to 10 years imprisonment by Justice Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown High Court.

Solomon George, 44, formerly of Murphy Street, Good Intent, West Bank Demerara (WBD), had initially been charged with murder but opted to plead guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter. He admitted to unlawfully killing Rattan on August 08, 2016.

During his sentencing hearing, George pleaded for leniency and expressed remorse. He stated, “I am very sorry for whatever happened on that day. I am begging for mercy. I am a changed person.”

His defence attorney, Teriq Mohammed, urged the court to consider his client a prime candidate for rehabilitation and requested that justice be tempered with mercy.

Justice Sewnarine-Beharry, while delivering the sentencing remarks, acknowledged that George was an adult at the time of the crime and should have been aware of the consequences of his actions. She also took into account that George was under the influence of alcohol during the incident.

The tragic incident occurred during a “Kangan” celebration, which took place on August 8, 2016, at Rattan’s Sister’s Village residence in WBD.

Rattan, who worked at the Wales Sugar Estate, was attempting to escort George out of his yard due to the latter’s disruptive behaviour.

When George refused to leave, Rattan decided to physically remove him. However, in the ensuing struggle, George stabbed Rattan in the left side of his body with a sharp object.

Witnesses recalled seeing Rattan collapse while George fled the scene. Villagers subsequently gave chase and apprehended George.

Rattan was rushed to the West Demerara Regional Hospital but tragically passed away while receiving medical treatment.

Taking into consideration George’s time spent on remand and a one-third deduction for his early guilty plea, the judge arrived at a 10-year sentence.

As a result, George’s nearly seven-year period on remand, which equated to 10 prison years, led to his release on the day of sentencing.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.