Eight homeless after Zeelugt fire


Eight persons are now homeless after a drop cord that overheated caused a fire at Health Centre Street, Zeelugt, East Bank Essequibo.

The fire destroyed a two-storey wooden and concrete house owned by 33-year-old Deoraj Jaggernauth who resided there with his family of four. Additionally, 34-year-old Felix Lindore, Lorena Lopes, and Fahaliz Valentino occupied the second floor of the building.

The Guyana Fire Service on Sunday said the fire started at about 12:28 hrs on Sunday. Two water tenders arrived about nine minutes later and firefighters battled to control the blaze.

However, the house was gutted by the fire.

The fire also caused radiated heat damage to a nearby one-flat wooden and concrete house. This building is owned by 45-year-old Parbattie Sewchand and occupied by her and 21-year-old Ravishtaa Dass.

Subsequent investigations revealed that the fire was caused by an unrated drop cord that overheated and ignited nearby combustible materials.

Following this fire, the Guyana Fire service shared fire safety tips to help prevent such events. These include:

  1. Regularly inspect electrical cords for fraying or damage.
  2. Avoid overloading outlets and power strips.
  3. Install smoke detectors and test them regularly.
  4. Have a fire extinguisher on hand and know how to use it.
  5. Install surge protectors to safeguard electronic devices.
  6. Keep flammable materials away from electrical appliances.
  7. Hire a professional for any electrical repairs or installations.
  8. Replace damaged or outdated wiring promptly.
  9. Use appropriate wattage for light bulbs in fixtures.
  10. Unplug appliances when not in use to prevent potential hazards.
  11. Buy electrical products and appliances approved by the Guyana National Bureau of Standards (GNBS)
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.