PROTECT YOURSELF: PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SAFETY
As part of its Crime Prevention Strategy the Guyana Police Force has issued Crime Prevention tips for the public.
The tips come with this warning from the Police: “Crime can happen anywhere. Protect yourself, others and property by staying alert, safety conscious and informed. Trust your instincts, if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.”
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SAFETY
- Stay alert to your surroundings.
- Do not fall asleep while riding public transportation.
- Try to maintain a schedule that ensures plenty of people are at your bus or car park.
- Beware of pickpockets. Place wallets in front pocket and carry a purse that has a secure, strong strap. Be aware of loud commotions that may be staged distractions for pick-pocketing.
- If possible, sit near the driver or operator.
- If someone bothers you, say in a loud voice, “leave me alone,” and move to another area of the bus or car park. Be rude if necessary.
- If you are followed when you exit, cross the street and go to the nearest well-lit populated area, yell for help or contact the police.